Thursday 24 April 2008

The book grows again

After a break of almost a week, I opened the file and wrote another 1000 words yesterday, the last two of which were CHAPTER TWENTY. It seems a little bitty at the moment; I haven't spent long enough with each character. But I shall sort this kind of problem out at the end, when I have finished it and am giving it a critical read-through.

I have had a universal thumbs-down for the title, The London Friend. Too like the title of the old-fashioned magazine, The People's Friend. As the village pageant is central to the plot, and celebrates The Jofra Worm, would that make a good title? Or are too many people squeamish about worms? And does it sound a bit too science-fictiony, like wormholes in space, or nasty, slimy things from Quatermass's pit?

1 comment:

Jackie Sayle said...

'The Jofra Worm' - I think how the title is perceived would depend on the picture on the book jacket.