Saturday 12 April 2008

Accident-prone

Brother-in-law arrived at 1 am on the Tube, having spent the day with the official photographers for the London Marathon. I got to sleep at 3 and was up at 7, but still managed to read a book manuscript (work) and write a bit more of mine (pleasure). On 5th May bro-in-law (aged 64) and my sis (59) are to spend 12 days walking from the East coast of Scotland to the West, averaging 20 miles per day. I struggle to go to the gym once a week. Shame on me! This is the same bro-in-law (I only have the one) who had a bang on the head whilst skiing in the Alps and 5 weeks later tumbled off a horse in Zaragossa having had a subdural haematoma. (I'm sure I've spelt that wrong but am too lazy to look it up. Shame on me once more!)
Then last April he took another tumble off a horse and broke 3 ribs on the last day of his holiday. (Imagine carrying your luggage, and getting onto a plane... ouch!). Mind you, my sis has been kicked in the face by a horse and had her jaw broken in 3 places and had to eat Xmas Dinner liquidised and sucked up through a straw. She once rang me and asked me to meet her at the bus station as she thought she had broken her collarbone. She had, falling off a bike the previous day. She broke her leg on Snowdon and had to hobble down as there were no mountain rescue teams spare - they were all out rescuing other people. She fell over drunk at a Scripture Soc cheese and wine party at Uni and broke her ribs on the loo!
Accident-prone isn't in it for these two. Yet they remain forever undaunted. My sis has a lovely and enormous gray mare. Bro-in-law still hasn't given up riding. As for me, the last time I was on a horse, it took off at a canter through a wood, I beaned myself on a tree branch and have never been riding since. Shame on me? Or sensible! Sometimes I think I haven't lived.

TODAY'S WORD COUNT: 66,406. Heroine has been snogged by a mystery man in disguise and her ex-best friend who she is now hiding from is In Town and, what is more, has got a date with our heroine's boyfriend. And anything else would be giving away far too much.

1 comment:

Jackie Sayle said...

I was watching David Attenborough's new mini-series, 'Tiger - Spy In The Jungle' the other night, which follows the progress of a tiger, tigress and their four cubs. David A. said that both the parent were injured.

'What a pair!' said my Other Half.

I thought of this story about your brother and sister-in-law then. :-)