Friday 15 January 2010

Not a cold but...

Every day I play the Babble word game (www.playbabble.com) and one great thing about it, apart from the chance to chat to people all over the world via messages in the chatbox, is that the words are linked to an online dictionary so that you can find out what the obscure ones mean. It's a great way of improving your vocabulary (hope it helps stave off Alzheimers!).

Anyway, today I have learned what must be the best one of all - coryza. I looked it up and discovered it was a medical term for an acute infection of the mucous membranes, or a head cold. No longer do you have to tell the boss that the reason you haven't come in is that you've got a cold. How much more impressive it sounds when you say, "Sorry, I have a very bad attack of coryza." They certainly wouldn't want you in the office then. In fact, they'll all be left wondering if you can catch it from lavatory seats!!!

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

I haven't looked at today's grid yet, but guess what my first word found will be? Thanks Hydra! :-D

hydra said...

You're welcome!