Friday 27 March 2009

The new dentist

I have never had private dentistry before. Never been in a large, airy surgery with a lovely view over a garden and computer screens everywhere running little films about teeth and showing your x-rays up close. The dentist himself is a keen amateur actor, very interesting guy, busy bettering himself by studying for a fellowship in dentistry, doing a course in advanced cosmetic work and doing acting courses at the weekend.

The main difference, though, is the time he takes explaining everything, not rushing but putting you at your ease, asking if you're OK after every poke, prod and drilling session. I've had two appointments this week and have another next Wednesday. I used to complain about having to pay £32 per month to Denplan to stay with my old dentist. Well, these three appointments will add up to a whole year of Denplan, then if at the end of a day a crown is necessary, I shall have to take out a mortgage. But I think it's worth it not to be kept waiting for up to an hour, and being made to feel like a human being rather than a collection of teeth on a production line.

No comments: