Monday 23 March 2009

Birthday week


I had such a sociable time, starting with a drunken dinner party on the Saturday before my birthday, that I haven't got round to blogging at all. Tuesday was the birthday itself, and this was followed up with visits from out of town friends on the Friday and Saturday, and a local friend coming round yesterday. In between, I was trying to write a report on a manuscript that had so much wrong with it that I didn't know where to start. Everything was wrong: title, plot, viewpoint, characters, writing style, grammar, punctuation and sheer lack of a hero. I am still struggling, trying to write a 2,500 word critique that doesn't sound completely condemning. Sometimes I wish I could just write the two words: Give up.

Here is the photo from my party night. Left to right: Bobbie, Gerry, me, Jill, Joan. Gerry's partner cooked the amazing lamb curry that we all consumed with gusto. I've known Bobbie since 1972 and the other three since '74. My friend from Liverpool, Claire, who came on Saturday, has been my buddy since we we met on our first day at school in 1950!!! I don't think anyone of us look too bad, for all our wrinkly years.

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

Glad you had a fun birthday week and it's nice to see a pic of you with your friends.

Re the m/s - I had a really bad one sent to me to critique once. It's hard to know whether to be cruel to be kind, isn't it? I err on the side of contstructive criticism where possible.

Jackie Sayle said...

*meant constructive. LOL