Tuesday 10 March 2009

Cough, cough

I don't believe it. Will this virus never stop finding new ways to torment me? Now it's the ghastly, phlegmy cough that, after an hour or so's sleep, develops into a ghastly tickle that has me coughing for at least an hour. So far I've tried Benilyn for Chesty Coughs (great 'cos it gets you to sleep, but bad 'cos it doesn't suppress the cough and so you wake up again); Pulmo Bailey (worst taste in the world; again, gets you to sleep but doesn't suppress it enough to keep you there); and Kovonia.

The latter is the one I reached for at some dark hour last night when I discovered it lurking in the cupboard under the bathroom sink. I checked that it hadn't expired (a month to go) and downed a swig from its sticky depths - and, amazingly, got back to sleep, tickle having subsided. However, I'd propped myself semi upright on several pillows and now have a stiff neck and a headache. And... have to face the dentist this afternoon. I'm praying I haven't got a tooth infection as antibiotics would ruin my birthday celebrations next week. In the meantime, any suggestions for a cough linctus that will really work and will dry up the horrid, gluey secretions in my poor, cough-strained throat?

1 comment:

Jackie Sayle said...

I think you may have to resort to 'Sudafed' decongestant tablets, as I have just had to. Years ago I couldn't take them, as they made me feel 'spaced out'. Perhaps they've changed the formula now, because I feel okay taking them and they have helped. (And, no, I hadn't taken any when I fell over for no apparent reason the day before yesterday!)