Saturday 12 July 2008

That sardonic smile


Amongst my previous incarnations, I was editor, under vaious assumed names, of fanzines for David Cassidy, Starsky & Hutch (I put together the complete series of mags), The Police and The Bay City Rollers. I had immense empathy with the fans of these actors and musicians because I had been a fan myself. I still am!

As an 11-year-old, I went to see Campbell's Kingdom with my mum and fell madly in love with Dirk Bogarde - so madly that when I was 13, my friend Ros and I packed a bag each and planned to run away to Little Chalfont where he lived. By the time I discovered he was gay, I was old enough to get over it and appreciate him for the brilliant actor that he was - and excellent writer as well.

As an adult, I don't have teenage-style pashes on actors or singers (though I do know people well in their forties and fifties who still have!), but I can't deny that there are two men who completely, totally turn me on and they are Alan Rickman and Sean Bean. Phoowarrrrrr!!!! Bean on screen oozes testosterone. He's earthy and full of energy, yet, consummate actor as he is, his eyes can change in an instant from hot and sexy to icy and commanding, in a way that makes female nipples tingle. As for Rickman, it's all in the sardonic smile, the curl of the lip, the impression of Mills & Boon masterliness. As I have as much chance of winning the lottery as I have of ending up in the arms of either of them, all I can say is, thank heaven for fantasies!

No comments: