Thursday 3 July 2008

Knicker Bickers


I have a big beef about knickers. Well, most knickers. I am very familiar with men's undies, having put them in and out of washing machines and pegged them on lines for years. Though much more complex in their construction than the ladies' variety, contoured to fit snugly around men's meat and two veg, they are much more smoothly finished off, with all the seam edges oversewn and no raw ends to chafe one's most delicate regions.

Not so with women's drawers. 98% of those in my knicker drawer have the broad seam at the back of the gusset tucked under and made nice and smooth, while the narrow front seam is not turned in at all but is left as an untucked edge. Now, the broad seam spans the cheeks of the derriere and doesn't touch any tender flesh, but that front seam always falls short of the Mons Pubis, to be discreet and medical about it and instead, it bunches up and chafes a lady's most sensitive parts so that, just as you are taking a romantic stroll around the park lake, you are suddenly afflicted by what feels like a knife blade performing a ghastly circumcision ceremony. Many's the time I have had to hobble and hop to the nearest loo, to turn the offending undergarment inside out - where, of course, the seams are finished off nice and smoothly.

It doesn't make sense to me. If manufacturers can provide smooth surfaces that don't chafe men, why can't they do the same for us? At the moment, Tesco is my salvation as they sell panties that have no gusset seams at all. Unfortunately, they only come in beige and white - at my branch, anyway - not very enticing, and they aren't cotton, either, which means that in hot weather you feel you have dipped your rear end into a sauna. But hey, maybe some of that excess flesh on my behind is boiling off and I shall be left at the end of Summer with a firm, toned, athlete's posterior. Bring it on, say I!

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

I hope you realise you've had me checking all the knicker(s?) crotches as I took them off the airer? Yes, what you say seems to be true of the smaller panties in the house. However, the, ahem!, larger ones have lovely turned under seams either end. Try proper-shaped cotton pants from 'George' at ASDA. :-)

hydra said...

That's good to know. I used to wear bikini briefs (not thongs, they're like cheese-wire!), then when I got plumper I graduated to hi-legs, which I still wear. My only pair of larger ones are of the tummy-control variety so, since the menopause when I got much more tender down below, I have worn my knickers inside out!!!