Sunday 18 May 2008

The rain it rainethed every day


Well, it rained, then it rained, then it rained some more. I had taken one pair of trainers made out of some kind of fabric, a pair of Clarks sports sandals and a pair of flip-flops, swimsuit, clothes more suited to the Costa Brava than the Costa Cornwall, and, thank heavens, a fleece and a mac. All I needed were the latter, plus a vital item that I couldn't carry, that being welllies. I lost count of the number of times my trainers and two pairs of socks got wringing wet, requiring me to repair to my hotel room and dry them out in front of the fan-heater. I swear that the raindrops in Cornish grass are as large as tennis balls compared to the delicate London pearls that sparkle so prettily on the garden plants. And as well as the grass being ten times wetter, so is the rain!

My friends in St Agnes were as hospitable as ever and we had fun laying down some tracks on my mate's new digital recording device, a Samson Zoom H4, and her Mixcraft software. Normally, I hate the sound of my own singing voice, which sounds something like a Liverpudlian Mary Hopkin with a cold, but, dare I blow my own trumpet, I sounded rather good, and my harmonies with myself weren't bad, either. I was in awe the way my friend rapidly mastered the intricacies of both recorder and software without even RTFM-ing, as there wasn't a manual!

I was scheduled to stay till tomorrow, but Mr G blew himself up so I came home early. More on that story anon. Now, having spend all last Wednesday night and Thursday confined to my hotel room with the squits and cold shivers (oh, everyone's had that, the pharmacist assured me when, pale-faced and sleepless-eyed, I staggered in for Diaralyte), I am about to eat a welcome-home bacteria burger that Mr Grumpy is cooking on his barbecue. See you tomorrow, if I survive.

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

NEWSFLASH! Hydra, having checked out the local rooftops, realises they are all in good condition. (See photo.) Disappointed that her ambition to find work as a roofer has been thwarted, she returns home a day early.

:-)

Welcome back, Hydra. Sorry you got all wet and got the squitters. Flat Coca Cola (sipped) is good for rehydrating Hydras or another other squitty being. It must be Coca Cola and not Pepsi, though. My doctor gave me that tip and it works.

As for the rain, the travel writer H.V. Morton, when describing the Lake District downpours, said it rained 'with deliberate enthusiam'. I think that applies equally to Wales (where it rains not only vertically but also sideways and upwards) and to Devon and Cornwall. It seems that beauty comes at a price!

Mr. G. 'blew himself up'?? Do tell!

hydra said...

Love the photo caption! I took the pic from my top floor hotel room window during a brief moment between showers. You are the only person apart from moi who seems to know that Coke tip. Mr G told me. His late partner used to sip flat Coke as a cure for post chemo nausea.