Wednesday 28 May 2008

A poke in the eye

Facebook. Don't. Ever. My daughter insisted I joined, in order to be able to visit her page. So I duly filled in my details (how I hate doing that; who knows what cyber-stalkers are crouching like gremlins waiting to pounce on my email address and... what's this? Date of birth? No way! No escape, though. Facebook demands you fill in your DOB as you have to be over 13 to join), and then found her page. And what a conglomeration of complexities it was. I couldn't make head or tail of it, thus proving how many decades over 13 I am. The page was littered with photos, messages, links to websites and games... no wonder she spends all day on it.

I spoke to her last night and asked her what 'pokes' were, as there is a place to press if you want to poke someone. I was told that there are all kinds of pokes, including kinky pokes. I most definitely do not want some stranger giving me one of those. I thought I was joining just as a visitor, but oh no. Once you join, you are given a page (what? where?) and now, every five mins, I get an email from Facebook telling me someone I've never heard of wants to be my friend. I wish I had never done it. No way am I going to stick my photo on, and if anyone kinky-pokes me, they'll get a virtual poke in the eye by return. I'm perfectly satisfied with my good old blog!

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

LOL. You can throw sheep at people, too. You don't have to take up all the invitations and things on Facebook. My page is relatively simple, listing the games I play on there. I can see what my friends are writing or watching and read, or not, as I choose. Some people's pages are very complicated (my daughter's isn't too bad).

There are some benefits! (See my blog for the video an old schoolfriend just sent to my 'funwall' in facebook. I think you'll enjoy it. ;-)

hydra said...

My daughter's is immensely complicated. One thing I can't work out is how to make it private, for friends only. Do you know how to do it?