Monday 20 July 2009

The year of the tooth

2009 will go down in my book as the year of the tooth. The problem started way back in March and to get to almost the end of July and STILL have pain in it is just unbelievable. The first two dentists who examined it were convinced there was a crack in the tooth. The third, whom I am still with, suspected infection and he was right. He's drilled and filled the root canals, given me a course of Amoxicillin, and I had one blissful week when I could eat on that side of my mouth again, until back came the pain.

Now I have been put on double strength Amoxicillin which, though I only started on it three hours ago, is already making me feel rotten. If this doesn't work, it will have to come out. Wish I'd had it yanked out in March. It has ruined my year so far. I have been unable to book holidays or even spend a weekend away. I can't sleep on my right side. The only plus point is that I've lost a bit of weight. But now I can't even distract myself with a nice bottle of wine until a week tomorrow. If I so much as sniff alcohol whilst taking Amoxicillin, I get violent stomach pains.

The even worse news is that if it has to come out, my NHS dentist charges £1200 for a bridge. Can you believe it? My friend in Cornwall got hers done for £200. Talk about rip-off London prices. So not only is my year being ruined, my bank balance is about to go the same way. As if I wouldn't rather spend £1200 on a slap-up holiday! I'll just have to sell the rest of my clothes on eBay. And auction the cat.

No comments: