Thursday 23 July 2009

Dangerously Well!

I woke up very early this morning, around 5 am, to find a miracle had occurred. I was actually feeling all right. Not only that but I was positively bouncy. I lay and listened to the radio and read my book for a while - Kate Williams' excellent biography of Emma Hamilton called England's Mistress - then got up. Yes, my tooth still hurts slightly when I prod it, yes, my ear is still buzzing and a bit sore, but compared to how I had been feeling, this was positive perfection. I walked briskly to the post office, got caught in a shower and came back clutching my brolly and whistling Singin' In The Rain. Later, I walked equally briskly to the mini M&S where I found all kinds of reductions and for a little over a fiver got two big packs of mushrooms, some cashew nuts, yogurt and a very large chicken.

Now it's 2.40 pm and I have become gradually more aware of a sore throat beginning, and painful neck glands. With a sinking feeling, I recall having felt like this healthy, energetic euphoria before, not for a long, long time though. In the days when I still got periods and frequent migraines, I christened it the 'dangerously well' feeling, as it always preceded the 'monthlies', the migraine or some kind of cold or flu virus. Oink!

1 comment:

Jackie Sayle said...

Well, it looks like Beloved's got a cold rather than the Oink 'Flu. He's still on his feet.