Wednesday 22 July 2009

Antibiotics and ME

It surprises me that dentists can hand out antibiotics willy-nilly without making any enquiries about one's general state of health. I have heard that taking too many too close together can set off ME. An acquaintance who was once a bright city barrister has been declining for 15 years and is now bedridden with ME following two courses of antibiotics. She has an appointment with Dignitas next month as she can no longer even read or watch TV as her eyesight is failing, too, and she is in so much pain and has no quality of life, and she puts it all down to the antibiotics, as does another friend who was unlucky enough to contract meningitis while on his honeymoon in St Lucia, was given a very heavy dose of antibiotics and is also in a wheelchair with ME now. Then there was Sheila. She was involved in a bad car accident that resulted in her spleen having to be removed, and lots of antibiotics, and again, ME folllowed. I last saw her ten years ago. She was also wheelchair dependent. We lost touch and she may even be dead now.

So my question is, should I be taking double-strength Amoxicillin handed out by my dentist, which is making me feel sick and a bit dizzy and is keeping me awake all night with stomach-ache, just to save my tooth? Am I risking ME? I am worried sick.

1 comment:

Jackie Sayle said...

I really don't know the answer to that, Hyrda.x