Friday 7 November 2008

The perfect swim

Turned up for my first gym session only to find out that I didn't know how to use any of the equipment as it was so different to the gear in the last gym. I have to wait for my 'induction' next Thursday. Luckily, I had brought a swimsuit so, rather than waste a week's membership, I tried out the pool. And what a pool. It must be full Olympic length because it seemed to go on for ever. The water was warm, there were only a few other people in and as I swam along, gazing through the two glass walls at the lovely park scenery outside, wintry blue sky, golden leaves, pleasant patio with chairs and tables, I decided it was the best pool I had ever swum in in the UK. Of course, nothing could beat the view of Fethiye Bay from the Horizon Hotel's swimming pool in Turkey. But, if this is second best, it's bloody good.

I was all set to go again today till I realised how stiff I was. I can hardly move my head forward, my shoulders are so sore. Of course, swimming breaststroke as I do, with my head up stop my glasses falling off (can't see a thing without them), I set off my old whiplash injury in my neck, where I have two fused vertebrae. I just can't win!

* Just checked: it's a 25m pool - I think Olympic is 50m - and I did six lengths. It was the first time I'd swum for two years. No wonder I'm stiff!

No comments: