Friday 28 March 2008

Nose to the grindstone


Or grind to the nose-stone, perhaps? I feel sure one's nose would get well ground down, as my fingers are doing. After the usual few hours of evasive action, playing Babble (www.playbabble.com) and answering emails and looking up property websites, I got down to writing round about 3m, while it was pouring outside, and my grand total is now... wait for it...
37,097 words.

I think I've mentioned before that you can never really plan a book because events and characters take on lives of their own. I really don't know where the goat farm came from, or the character who runs it, who may just turn into the hero, and I must look up the physical differences between a llama and an alpaca. Don't ask! That's an alpaca in the picture. Apologies to whoever I 'borrowed' the image from. I'm sure the must be a daft way of telling them apart, in the same vein as the saying about how to tell the difference between a stoat and a weasel: 'a weasel is weaselly recognised and a stoat is stoatally different.' Sorry! Anyone offering versions featuring alpacamacs and allama clocks will be shot. I *kid* you not!

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

Hydra - I expect you've already looked this up but, if not, the differences between llamas and alpacas are quite distinct when you see them together. (There's a llama farm near to my home and alpacas in the field behind my Mum's house.)

Although both members of the Camelid family, llamas and alpacas are descended from different branches.

Llamas have banana-shaped ears, a double coat (with rough outer coat which comes in about 5 colours)and are a lot bigger than alpacas. They were bred as pack animals.

Alpacas have spear-shaped ears, single but better quality fibre coats which come in about 22 colours, and are about a third of the size of llamas. Alpacas were bred for their coats.

hydra said...

Thanks VERY much for that info, Jac! I think I'll change it to an alpaca.