Wednesday 26 December 2007

Daily Wasp Episode 2

I didn't get strafed yesterday, probably because the upstairs lights weren't on as we were downstairs being festive. But as I checked my emails at around 4.30 pm today I heard the familiar scary buzz.

I thundered down the stairs yelling for Mr Grumpy. He was the phone. I mouthed 'black and yellow thing' and did an impression of a plane flying sideways. Mr G failed to register the urgency and carried on yakking.

Eventually, he came to my aid. This time he armed himself with a different weapon - a battery operated zapper that looks like a small tennis racquet. Just be sure, he put new batteries in it. He went upstairs, with yours truly following at a safe distance.

"There's no wasp here, you're imagining things," he insisted. He whacked the curtains, the sofa, the heap of jiffy bags in the corner, while I squeaked in fear. He opened the cupboard door, he peered inside the lampshade. No wasp.

Where would be the natural place for a wasp to lurk, I wondered? Near the light, surely? But we had looked inside the shade (an open type, made of woven raffia). But we hadn't looked ON it. There was the beast, waving its antennae at us.The zapper sparked. Down fell the wasp, legs still waving. The zapper was placed upon it and several sparks later, my enemy was electrocuted.

But the question still remains: where in tarnation are they coming from?

2 comments:

FranMag said...

I definitely don't want to alarm you, but another babbler had hornets in her attic and had to have a professional come in to get them. They had built their nest in the ceiling.

FranMag said...

Oh yeah! Hope your Christmas was good and may the New Year bring you many blessings!