Wednesday 10 August 2011

Waiting for a sign.

My young friend S is, like me, searching for a flat to buy. Like me, she hasn't had much luck. The other day, she was waxing philosophical and said she was sure that when she found a place, she would receive a sign that it was either right or wrong for her.

Well, I think I'm getting signs, too. I had already withdrawn my offer on that bungalow to do up, but was wondering if I should go for it after all in lieu of anything else, when my eye lit upon a letter I had just received and a paragraph leapt out at me. It concerned a man who had bought a bungalow to do up and a year later, was still trying to sell it. That's the sign, I thought, and promptly binned the property details.

Last Saturday, I went to see another bungalow. (Not that I particularly like bungalows - my knees haven't given way yet - but there just seem to be an awful lot of them round here.) It was down a gravel lane, round a corner, and totally tucked away, a real writer's retreat. I felt my heartstrings being tugged... then I felt my ankle itch. I was being attacked by cat fleas! I rang S and told her. "That's the sign you shouldn't buy it," she said, and indeed, when I remembered I couldn't drive and would have to lug my shopping all the way up the lane, as well as stumbling down it in the dark at night, I realised she was right.

In case you're wondering about that nice bungalow that I was going to go for... S is so miserable having to camp out in her dad's living room that I've said she can move in with me till she finds somewhere. And as I need an office to work from, that means I am now looking for a 3-bedroomed place.

Wonder what the next sign will be? A £-shaped cloud telling me I'm about to win the lottery?

2 comments:

Haz1558 said...

The pretty bungalow has that large shed that you could convert into an office (you referred to it in your previous post) so there's not really any need to look for a 3 bedroom bungalow, is there? You're shifting your own goalposts again.

hydra said...

That would take a good few weeks as I'd have to demolish old shed and order a proper insulated home office that I could work in in the winter. Having come from a large house, you'd be horrified at how much stuff I've got!!!