Thursday 25 August 2011

Blog followers

Oh dear, I had 12 followers and now I only have 10 and this has happened since yesterday. I'd better try and make this blog more interesting. But how? Or is it time to finish it altogether? Perhaps every blog runs its course.

Today I managed to get from Hayes to North London on public transport in an hour and 20 minutes. I think this is a record. I had the unfair advantage of getting a lift (from Mr G) to Hayes and Harlington station, 3 miles from where I live. There are 3 stations I can use and all of them are 3 miles away. It's like a school algebra exam question. If A lives x miles from station U, y miles from station H and z miles from station HH, how long will it take her to reach station E?

Here is my journey. I was lucky to find a train already at the platform. I sprinted down the stairs, almost breaking an ankle or three, and - oh joy - it was a fast train that only stopped once at Ealing Broadway. I was at Paddington in 15 mins. I had to be at station E by 2.30. I reached station P at 1.20, where I had to change to the tube line to Kings Cross. There was a 6 min wait. I got to Kings Cross, walked down corridors, down stairs, took a wrong turning onto the Piccadilly Line, retraced my steps, went down an escalator, found there was a 7 min wait for a High Barnet Northern Line tube, sat down and took a breather... and finally reached station E at 2. 20, congratulating myself on being early... only to find the person I was due to meet had gone for lunch!

So I high-tailed it to Costa Coffee and had a BLT and a cappuccino. Well, needs must. Viewed a flat, dropped in on an old friend for tea and cake, then made the four-stage journey back. And it didn't rain! I call this a good day.

7 comments:

Ayr Writers' Club said...

Don't stop your blog! I'm not a follower but I do regularly check in to see what's happening in your life. (That sounds far more creepy than I intended it to!) I'm sure there are lots more of us (extremely normal) lurkers out there.

Janice

Jackie Sayle said...

Reading your blog entry at 23.59pm, there are 11 followers marked, There's me, too. I don't do the 'follower' thing since my blog is a private one, but I hope I still count!:-)

Glad you had a mostly good day. Did MrG. sort the leak out?

hydra said...

Thanks very much, Sky Blue and Jacula. No, Mr G didn't sort out the leak. In fact, despite the new crack that's at least 6" long (I'll photograph it tomorrow), he said, "Oh, that window's always leaked." Well, I've lived here for the past five years and it hasn't leaked once in all that time, but hey, I'm only a mere woman, what do I know?! Seriously, Jacula, I do need to pep it up a bit and stop sounding so miserable. Though I have a big, fat reason at the moment and I can't talk about it. *sigh*

Teresa Ashby said...

Don't give up - please! I find your blog very interesting and I know lots of people visit and read blogs without following.

Amazed you got no rain - I was on the M25 yesterday and it was like a monsoon!

Perovskia said...

Yup, keep writing. Besides, what do you care what other people think? (okay, maybe a little.) I of course also read, but don't 'follow'. I hope I have more readers than followers, too, or I'm surely in trouble!

hydra said...

Thanks all of you. Your comments make me feel better. I am in a pretty dark place right now.

Jackie Sayle said...

I take it that the flat you viewed was no good? You didn't say whether or not it was a garden flat. I think you need a garden!

As for pepping your blog up, you do okay. Given the way you're feeling and the worry you have about your health until you get more blood tests, it's not surprising that you can't even rise to black humour. But, as I've said before, it's your blog and you can write what you like!

Anyway, I won't be here to 'bully' you (xx) for the next week. (I meant that in a humorous way, btw.)