Friday 26 August 2011

Slugs!

Not everybody's favourite creature, I know, and wow, doesn't this wet weather bring them out. The other evening a bright orange one was sliming its way up the patio doors. It looked about six inches long. (No ribald comments, please. Well, only if you must!)

Years ago, when I first met Mr Grumpy - 1997, it was - he had two black and white cats called Bastard and Trollop. Trollop was also known as Trollopuss. One day I looked out to see her lying unmoving on the soaking wet grass after a heavy shower. I called her and she didn't even twitch. Terrified, I found Mr G and said, "I think Trollop's dead." She was about 16 at the time.

Grim-faced, he splashed out to take a look... and came back grinning all over his face. "Go and look," he said.

I went, getting soggy slippers in the process, and found Trollop with her paws wrapped round something and her face nuzzling against it. It was a big, fat slug which she had 'caught'.

It amused me so much that I wrote a song about it. Wish I could write notes of music in my blog but there's nothing I can do about that and I haven't recorded any of my songs. However, once I have found the scrap of paper the song is scribbled on, I shall type the words out for you. The title is Trollopuss and the Slug.

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

Our cat tried catching a slug a few weeks ago and then spent ages gagging and trying to wipe slug goo off his mouth.

Looking forward to reading the lyrics, or hearing the song if you want to re-record it.

hydra said...

I wish I could record it, Jacula, but I don't know how! Haven't got any recording software or even a decent microphone.