Monday 5 October 2009

Autumn blues

Don't know if it's the time of year - raindrops plopping from soggy brown leaves, me stuffing unworn strappy tee-shirts and summer dresses into binbags, a general damp chill in the air - but I can't summon up any enthusiasm for anything. I have cancelled the appointment I had to see a gorgeous flat today as an hour and half's journey each way and a long plod in the rain felt like too much bother, especially as none of my friends were free for lunch. The flat looked gorgeous, but when I looked it up on the map, it didn't pass the shopping bag test, i.e. it was much too far from bus routes and tube stations. Wish I'd learned to drive as a teenager. My sister was given the lessons instead as they could only afford to pay for one of us and she was 'the practical one', whereas I was the dreamer who wouldn't have my mind on the road.

So now every property I look at has to involve no more than a ten minute stagger with several loaded bags. My mum always used to grumble about living on a main road and not in the countryside, but she had butcher, baker, chemist, bank and mini supermarket right opposite the house. In fact, damn, damn, damn, why ever did we sell it? I could be moving in right now!

No comments: