Tuesday 2 September 2008

Gilgamesh




Had a wonderful four days staying in Camden, which was marred only by the fact that I couldn't use the £22 ticket I'd bought to see Pentangle guitarist Bert Jansch on Saturday night because when I got down to the corner of Barker Drive, a gang of about 17 evil looking young men were spread menacingly across the street, barring my path. I turned to go right, under the railway bridge, and spotted more of them lurking, so, fearing for my safety, I turned tail and spent the evening sulking indoors instead. Now, I wonder why I didn't phone the police. I did hear distant sirens so perhaps someone else had. That lot were definitely up for trouble.

On Friday, I met a friend in Camden Lock and she took me to Gilgamesh, a most amazing club and restaurant/bar that is full of Indian carvings and artefacts. See http://www.gilgameshbar.com/history.htm

The ladies loo was so splendid, we felt we were in a palace. The basin were gleaming brass troughs, the decor all brass carvings and there were real orchids in vases. I could happily have eaten my dinner in there! (See photo).

On my way back to Kings Cross with my far too heavy luggage, I passed some wonderful wrought iron work on the canal bridge in Camley Street.


When I reached St Pancras, I wandered into M&S and made my luggage even heavier by buying cheese, salad and a bottle of Sangria. Well, I felt in the holiday spirit and being in St P with a suitcase, I thought people would think I'd just got off the Eurostar, especially in my blue and white striped T-shirt! Tres Parisienne.

3 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

Welcome back! Gilgamesh looks a wonderful place. I had a look at the website and enjoyed reading the history. The menu looked nice, too.

hydra said...

You'll have to come down to London and we'll go!

Jackie Sayle said...

I'll do that sometime with pleasure.