Wednesday 17 September 2008

Er... the road to hell...

... is paved with good intentions, and one was not to drink till Wednesday. Well, I needed something to help me sleep last night and a bottle of red wine seemed the answer, so I drank half of it and slept half the night. Maybe I should have drunk all of it and slept all night! Though maybe not, as what woke me was my stomach making sounds like the Last Night of the Proms' percussion section (to be truthful, slightly more than just my stomach was involved) and when I got up, my head was thumping. I've suspected for a while that red wine and I do not get on. In fact, I have a strange allergic reaction if I mix red wine and seafood. The room spins and I am violently ill. And guess what? With half a bottle still to finish (can't waste it, can I, with the cost of wine today, and Mr G doesn't drink), I opened the fridge to find Mr G defrosting prawns. They are obviously intended for tonight's dinner. Damn! Actually, I don't feel like either wine or prawns today. I have a nice piece of lemon sole in the freezer. And a pack of Yogi Stomach-Ease tea. And one of my friend Jacula's divine chocolate and ginger cookies which have just arrived. Thanks, Jac. Cheers!

1 comment:

Jackie Sayle said...

You're welcome, Hydra. I'm amazed at the speed the cookies and the portrait reached you. I posted them at 4.20pm yesterday. Well done Royal Mail!

I shall look forward to seeing the 'portrait' in its purple frame.:-)

Incidentally, red wine keeps for longer than you might think after opening and, even if it did lose flavour, you could either use it for cooking or let it turn to vinegar.