Thursday 4 September 2008

Probiotics

I haven't mentioned my bad stomach lately, have I? This is because (touch wood!) it hasn't given me much trouble. When I think how many decades I have suffered, since being diagnosed with IBS way back in 1977! Without the internet, and with no advice from doctors, I struggled on, never knowing how I would feel when I woke up and whether or not I would have to cancel what I was doing because I was in so much pain. I was a classic case, suffering alternately from diarrhoea, then constipation.

One day a few months ago, I read a tiny paragraph in a Sunday newspaper suggesting that probiotics could help IBS sufferers. I bought the brand they suggested - Megaprobiotics, from the Victoria Health online store - and I haven't looked back. The first day the pills arrived I took two in the morning and two in the evening, and the next day I felt better, and the day after, I felt better still. After a month, I cut down to just two in the evening and now I only take one. I would say that in the average month I just have two bad days when I used to have about 22, and that is when I have been an idiot and pigged out on chocolate, alcohol or rich, spicy food. The difference probiotics have made in my life is immense.

Now to find an equally successful remedy for my stomach ulcers...

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

I'm so glad the priobiotics are working for you. The sage tablets have suddenly stopped working for my hot flushes/night sweats problem. They're back worse than ever! I've added extra Vitamin E to the stuff I take now. No difference yet, but it's only been 4 days.

hydra said...

Oh no! Wonder why they should suddenly stop working? I'm going to ask my GP if I can go back on HRT. I felt SO much better on it.