Monday 15 September 2008

Mr Grumpy's Party

Everything went like clockwork. Late Friday afternoon, I collected a huge hunk of cheese and a heap of ham like a weightlifter's bicep and on Saturday I stood for an hour and a half making trays of sandwiches in various combinations, all bearingPost-it notes listing the ingredients. We expected guests from 4 pm onwards. By 5, we were thinking we may as well give up and eat the sarnies ourselves, but then the first guest arrived.

It was an hour before we were able to welcome the second, my old friend Bobbie, but once she got there and and transfused the house with her upbeat, happy spirit and dirty laugh, it all started. My offer of a cup of tea was waved away and I was firmly ordered to open the wine. After that, the evening passed in a happy blur of which I can only remember one or two moments, one being an earnest conversation about poetry with a young man whose cousin is a Druid, and the other involving something illicit in the garden.

Bedtime happened at around 3.30 am. Yesterday was a slop-around-groaning day. Thank heavens for Poirot in the evening, enabling me to veg out on the sofa with a nice warm cat. I have now sworn off wine till at least Wednesday.

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

'Sworn off wine until at least Wednesday'? So why have you put 'vin' in our Scrabble game?:-) Can't get on the site to play my next move. I'll bet that bl**dy 'q' is still there with no 'u' to be useful.

hydra said...

I gave in and had a beer last night. Well, it was nice and cold, having been in the fridge since the party. Talking of 'cold', Mr Grumpy has a streamer and is shivering in a sleeping bag on the sofa watching endless re-runs of Top Gear. Now I think I may be getting the wretched thing, too. Grrrr!