Wednesday 4 June 2008

Sorting out the sheep from the goats (and the cows)

I haven't talked about my multifarious ailments for some time. They are the reason I started this blog, so now I feel duty-bound to have a whinge. My stomach has suddenly rebelled and the IBS has started up again. I realise I have forgotten to take my probiotics for a few days, so today I have gone back on them.

I have suspected for years that chocolate (cheap milk choc, that is, not good plain choc) and cow's milk have been causing me problems so today I bought some goat's milk in Tesco. It tastes lovely. I thought it would taste like a wrestler's armpit - you know that heavy, musky flavour goat products often have, so I was pleasantly surprised. I used it for my coffee and it made a decent cup, but guess what? Now my sinuses have started reacting and I am sniffling and throat-clearing in exactly the same way I do after cow's milk. Why? All the articles say that people who are sensitive to cow's milk have no problems with goat's, so why me?

Years ago, I had my allergies tested at a chemist's in Muswell Hill. They said I was allergic to both cow and sheep dairy products but was fine with goat products. So... why the sniffles? All theories gratefully received. In the meantime, I shall restrain myself from ordering a goat.

1 comment:

Jackie Sayle said...

You could try rice milk, but my daughter tells me it is 'pretty weird'.

Soya milk's nice if you go for'alpro' brand. The 'so good' brand tastes like chip fat with chocolate. Yuck!