Wednesday 4 June 2008

Dyeing for a change!



It had to happen. It was time. I was fading fast and something drastic had to be done to save... my hair. From being the glorious red it was on the photo on the left, it had gradually, almost imperceptibly, crept down the road to brownish ginger. I didn't realise how bad it had got until I had arranged to meet a friend (a very blunt friend) at the station. "I walked right past you," she said. "I was looking for a redhead."

I am used to sour comments. Not that that makes me like them. From the day my mum told me I was ugly because, at 11, I had to wear glasses, and, at 15, that I had legs like tree trunks, and yet again, when I was around 45, that she hadn't recognised me on one of my visits, when I'd dressed in a very expensive new trendy jacket and had had a red rinse, and had thought, 'Who's that fat middle-aged woman with dyed hair, in the shrunken jacket, walking over the railway bridge with Dad?' Not one to mince her words, my mum, God rest her! It would have been her 100th birthday on June 28th... But I'm getting off the point. It was time to dye my hair and brighten up my persona for the summer. And here is the result. I don't think it's bad - but I can hear my mother's acid tones echoing in my ear... fat, middle-aged, dyed... but no shrunken jacket this time, just a shrunken wallet!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look smashing, and your hair appears in great condition, nice and glossy - what shampoo do you use?

hydra said...

It's Natratint from Holland & Barrett. Supposed to contain fewer nasties than ordinary colours. However, I've been warned that it will fade after a few weeks, because red is never a permanent colour. But I shall just go and buy some more!

Jackie Sayle said...

Hydra - your hair looks the right colour again. As for mothers, I think they must have it in the secret handbook to put their daughters down. My Mum does it to me. Years ago, after I put on a lot of weight, she used to jibe me about that, when I lost weight and became almost too thin, she found something else to snip at. Now I'm heavy again, she's in her element. I hope that I don't do this kind of thing to MY daughter intentionally, but I do seem to annoy her at times. Maybe it's just the way things are in a mother/daughter relationship? Dunno.:-(