Wednesday 6 June 2007

Mange

Despite telling myself to go to sleep last night, I couldn't I had too much on my mind, notably the house that is failing to sell. So around 1.20am, I got up and switched on the computer and began to investigate fox mange to see if there was anything I could do to help the little chap. To my amazement, I found http://www.nfws.org.uk/mange which is the National Fox Welfare Society. They use homoeopathy to help cure the mange as, without treatment they say, mangy foxes won't survive more than four or five months. They supply Arsen. Alb in jelly form, to be spread on bread and put out for the fox in a sandwich. Can't wait to get it. I'll let you know of the fox's progress.

Apparently, one side effect of mange is that the fox is so distracted by the terrible itch (caused by a mite of the same family as that which causes scabies in humans) that it loses its natural fear of humans. That isn't true of 'my' little fox yet. They can also gnaw off part of their tails and inflict horrible injuries on themselves with their biting. Again, I can't see signs of this on this fox yet. So perhaps there is hope. He's such a game little guy. He had a field day last night with a bag ful of semi-thawed chicken legs left over from a barbecue. Thank heaven foxes can't get salmonella poisoning.

No comments: