Monday 25 June 2007

Bent Beak Clinic



Met a friend in Borough Market and bought some very healthy rye bread. However, it proved too much for both my breadknife and my ageing teeth so I flung it out to see what would happen. A slug got there first. Next, a pigeon, followed by a magpie. They appeared to be having a conversation about which beak technique to use and eventually gave up and flew off, having arranged to meet each other at the Bent Beak Clinic for Birds.

As for the photo of Flad… it speaks for itself. Pity he can’t. I call this photo The Artist’s Cat.

Now for the daily moan. I am freelance, which means that for wages, I am dependent on the companies I work for sending me cheques. Promptly would be nice. But right now, I am waiting for payment for invoices going back as far as March. I have nagged, I have written, ‘Payment within 30 days’ at the bottom of the invoices, all to no avail. People who work for a monthly pay cheque have no idea what it’s like to have to wait for their wages to arrive randomly through the post. How is a freelancer expected to pay their mortgages and utility bills? Let alone eat! They should all be forced to live like that for three months and then perhaps they’d see it through my eyes. And now I hear that, to add insult to injury, we’re getting a postal strike!

No comments: