Sunday 15 May 2011

Today's update


Our neighbour has made it through another night but hasn't regained consciousness yet and is still in ICU and due for further scans today. Yes, Teresa and Jacula, it is going to be a long haul. His poor wife is in an awful state, hasn't slept since Friday.

I was meant to be in Hampstead doing a car boot sale with my friend Jill, but almost every tube line is affected by engineering works this weekend and although I worked out a route consisting of six changes of bus and train (six there and six back and a long walk each end!), just as I was leaving, I heard on the radio that there had been a signal failure affecting some trains into Paddington. At that point I gave up and stayed in and repotted my tomato seedlings instead. They went into shock at first and looked very droopy, but now they have all perked up, even the little one at the front left, which I was worried that I might lose as it was sprawled flat out on the soil.

Poor Jill. She has twelve bags of my stuff, plus all her own. She hauled it all out of the loft and into the car yesterday and tonight it will all have to be put back... unless she takes my advice and takes it all to the charity shop tomorrow. We didn't manage to do a car boot sale last year, as the weather was too awful, so I haven't seen the contents of those bags since 2009. The moths have probably had a field day.

Last time Jill took my stuff to a boot sale, she only made £4 after the pitch fee had been deducted; well, £4 for me. Her own stuff netted her about £45 as she gets lots of freebie health and beauty stuff as she writes health columns. In contrast, all my stuff has been bought by me, so no matter what it fetched, I would never be in profit. When will I ever learn not to buy some many clothes?!

My sister is almost as bad. As children, the only new clothes we ever got were those sewn or knitted by our mother, so as soon as we were earning our own money, we went on a buying spree - and never stopped. Oh, the joy of being able to buy whatever took our fancy! Though we've both careful to buy most of it from sale rails and charity shops rather than paying full price. And now there's Ebay too. Oh joy!

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

I think those trains KNOW when you're planning to go somewhere!

My tomato plants are bigger than yours! LOL. It was the other way round last year, wasn't it?

hydra said...

Ah, but did you grow yours from seed? I only planted the seeds three weeks ago, I left it a bit late.