Friday 27 May 2011

New job for me?


I think I have invented a new role for myself as an author's mentor. I gave some advice to a new writer called Chris Monroe, and he has just self-published his first children's book (8-11 age-group: called Attack of the Mutant Squirrels. It's a super read, great fun, and he has been asked to read some extracts as part of the Hillingdon Arts Week (I'm reading some of my poems). I asked him what publicity he'd done: none. So, having suggested he contact the local radio station and newspaper, I hauled him into Waterstones and in no time he was fixed up with a book signing session - AND they are going to stock his book!

He is also an amateur ventriloquist so I suggested to the manager that he bring Vern the Bird along to help him, and to entertain kids in the shop. They're going to put a poster and copies of his book in the window. Result!!! I'm sure that having seen how easy it is once you pluck up courage, he will have no difficulty doing it himself in future, but it felt great to help. The signing is on June 18th and I shall take some photos and put them on this blog. I shall take some photos and put them on the blog. Here's a link to his book on Amazon in case you are planning to buy any kids' books in the near future. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Attack-Mutant-Squirrels-C-K-Munroe/dp/1908147555

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

I don't know about 'mentor', more like publicist or agent. You should charge accordingly!

Hope it all goes well for you both.

Perovskia said...

I agree. That seemed to come quite naturally to you. I think you're called for it! I'd think about a 'second' career! ;)