Monday 15 February 2010

Colonoscopy

My friend Jacula said on her blog that her mum had had one and that she was on the list for one, too. So am I. I went to the doc's this morning and told her of all my tummy troubles and as well as prescribing some pills for irritable bowel syndrome, she is sending me for a colonoscopy.

I last had one in 2002 and they found and removed several polyps, none of which were malignant thank goodness. I used to get polyps in the womb and had several minor ops to remove them. I seem to be a polypy sort of person. Just call me Polyp Parrot! On the last occasion, I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy in the same session, which is when they found my stomach ulcers. Although I was sedated, the colonoscopy was extremely painful, involving much shoving and pushing and I kept coming round yelling in pain and they had to give me more sedation.

The leaflet said you should bring somebody with you as you'd be too woozy to remember what the doctors told you. I couldn't find anyone, and I was. I just dimly recall them saying I had 'ulceration and inflammation of the duodenum' and that they'd removed some polyps. They also said the pain had been caused by the fact that I had the twistiest guts they'd ever encountered and they had great difficulty getting the camera up. Three days later I left for a holiday in Turkey and had a horrible time, as having had my guts beaten up made me feel as if I had permanent severe period pains. So I can't say I'm looking forward to having it done again.

I'm also going for blood tests including liver function and cholesterol, which has never been checked in my life. I said to the doc that I was getting a full MOT and she said she thought everyone should have one every so often. Now I'm off to the chiropractor to have my neck graunched. Bedtime tonight will involve a liberal coating of Biofreeze!

3 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

I've had 2 colonoscopies, Hydra, and I can't say I found either very painful. The preparation beforehand (bowel cleansing over the 2 days prior) and the fasting on the day of, is far worse. They fill your bowel full of air during the procedure and that's a bit painful until you can release it! Glad I'm not due to go again until 2012.

Still, if having one can track the source of your problems I think it's well worth it. Good luck!

Perovskia said...

I agree with Jacula; if it's done right, it shouldn't be too painful. I hope the next doc is more gentle. I'm so glad you're going, though! Hope you get the results you're looking for.

hydra said...

The one I had was agony. I could hear this distant roaring and as I surfaced from the sedation I realised it was me, yelling in pain. This happened three times during the procedure. No, the cleansing and fasting isn't fun, either!