Tuesday 7 October 2008

Maybe not just Mars...

Yesterday I was wearing new jeans. Just now, I found the label I'd cut off them. It said: 'Wash Before Wearing', which of course I hadn't done. I hadn't even noticed the instruction which was, as they say, writ small. Could that mean that the dye can irritate the skin? In which case, mystery solved. In fact, the 'flea bite' mentioned in my last post is probably an itchy allergy, too, bcause a similar itchy lump has come up in the same area of my other leg. Though it's still a coincidence that it should all have happened on a 'Mars day'...

I think that, just like food ingredients are listed on the packaging, so the ingredients of dyes and fabric treatments should be listed on the labels of clothing and furnishings. Then we wouldn't have situations like happened a few months back, with people suffering dreadful skin allergies due to anti-fungal chemical in their leather sofas.

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

Hydra - it was probably the chemicals in the dye and used to set the dye. Dark blue dyes are the usual culprits. You might find this dermatology journal interesting reading: http://tinyurl.com/4uymzq

hydra said...

Thanks, Jac!