Wednesday 9 January 2008

Colds and my mum


Sometimes I am my own worst enemy. Why don't I use my own advice? Way back last year (30th May to be precise), I mentioned the fact that my mother always believed in mind over matter and when she felt she was falling prey to some virus, she would tell herself firmly that she was not getting a cold/flu or whatever.

So I started going down with a cold last week and what did I do? Forgot my mum's advice and stuck with pills and potions - and got the wretched bug. Yesterday, I suddenly recalled Mum's wise words and said out loud, in my best Barbara Wodehouse dog training tones, "I have NOT got a cold. I have NOT got a cough." Today, both have almost gone. Coincidence? Maybe. But I think not. I think somewhere up there Mum was having a chuckle and that she sent down a little maternal healing ray to help me out.

Here is a photo of my mum and me taken in the mid Eighties when she was around 75. She illuminated everywhere she went and everyone she met. She was a natural healer. I hope I have inherited some of her golden light.

News notes
Still getting the wasps. One appeared on the lampshade again. Another was already up and about and sitting on the windowsill when I came up to start work yesterday morning. I opened the window and gave it a prod with a CD to help it on its way out.
I have emailed the Daily Mail's You magazine on the subject of the Sound Screen. I think more people should be told about how white noise can help insomniacs.

No comments: