Monday 7 January 2008

Another rotten cold

I recently unearthed a heap of diaries from my schooldays. The Girl Diary, Lett's Schoolgirl Diary, Pony Club Diary - gosh, they brought back memories. And nearly every one started January with, 'I've got a cold'.

Decades on, nothing has changed. 2008 has opened with a real snorter, a tissue-soaking, throat-wrecking, lung-straining head and chest cold of the worst sort, with a banging sinus-y headache and earache thrown in.

As soon as Mr G started with his cold, which wasn't surprising considering the number of cold and cough ridden visitors we had during the festive season, which should be renamed the virus season, I started taking echinacea every day and even took a few doses of L-lysine and Vit C for good measure. All to no avail. Finding those diaries from when I was 10, 11, 14 makes me think that a New Year cold is ingrained in my metabolism. Perhaps it's clearing out all the toxins from the previous year so my system can begin afresh. Something good has to come out of it to make all this sore-nosed suffering worthwhile.

On the plus side, the wretched Insomnia Bird has shut up. Must be because the temperature has dropped. Maybe it has a frozen beak. I just Hope nobody gives it any tweetment.

No comments: