Wednesday 29 April 2009

Hungover and in limbo

Went to the Society of Authors' Spring bash last night. Margaret Drabble gave an inspiring speech on the subject of agents and publishers needing authors for their raw material, then we all got merrily drunk. I walked boldly up to several agents and told them I was 'agent-stalking'. Got the brush-off from Andrew Lownie and Jonathan Lloyd (CEO of Curtis Brown Lit Agency) but made good contact with with Caroline Sheldon, who went off with a copy of my book, Love Cheat, and promised to read it. She was such a lovely lady and I really hope she agrees to take me on. I have emailed her this morning and suggested a six month trial period. The other ones I appeared to hit it off with were Barbara Levy and her colleague, and I've promised to send them a copy of Love Cheat as they wish to expand their children's fiction list.

Later, after more wine, I found myself having coffee with an Asian medical author and GP who shall remain nameless because he told me he'd had his eye on me all night and was a widow. He even gave me a goodnight kiss! I think I said a while ago that I wish I'd married a doctor...

3 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

Now would that stop hypochondria in its tracks or make it worse? LOL

Jackie Sayle said...

Incidentally, didn't I already recommend Caroline Sheldon to you?

hydra said...

Did you? Sorry, I forgot! Louise Cooper used to be with her and says she's very good. She looks about my vintage, too. Not sure if a bright young thing would want to work with an oldie like me!