Wednesday 15 April 2009

The boating life


I have often fancied the idea of living in a houseboat. It seems such a cheap, carefree way of life. A couple of years ago I went to view a couple, with the idea of living in board and typing my novels whilst swans glided by the window. I'm glad I didn't buy the one that took my fancy because next time I walked along that stretch of the Grand Union canal, a tough-looking couple with two noisy, belligerent Dobermans had taken the boat next door.

And cheap way of life? Forget it! The mooring charges can be upwards of three grand a year - in central London, Islington for example, it's £700 per month, much more than I would pay in a mortgage. Added to that, it has to be lifted out of the water and overhauled every couple of years, in order to receive its certificate for being in good shape.

If I ever did have a houseboat or narrow boat, though, I'd like it to be like this one, which I spotted a week last Sunday. The illustration is exactly like the ones I draw of Flad!

No comments: