Sunday 3 June 2012

Summer Market

The local butcher and his partner - they of the five boys - organised a summer market yesterday. I did point out that it might be a bad weekend to do it, as lots of people would be doing their own Jubilee things, but they went ahead anyway and I did a second-hand clothes stall. It was a shame that, in five hours, we only got five customers, as the stalls were wonderful (apart from mine; well, you can't do much to make a clothes rail look nice, can you?).


The bread and cake stall was fabulous. I bought a loaf and it is honestly the best bread I have ever eaten. Normally, I have toast for breakfast but this is so lovely that I am having my marmalade on plain bread instead. The baker has a shop in Iver, Buckinghamshire.



This lady knits dolls and makes them according to British Standards, with safe fillings, etc. I bought a pair of rabbits, a boy and a girl (the girl bunny wearing the green tutu in the photo), for my godchildren. (Jacula, you make super knitted toys. Why not do a craft stall like hers?)



Her friend crochets and this was her stall. The butcher's partner bought the white hat in the centre. I thought they were tea cosies!

Wish I'd taken a photo of the jewellery stall where everything was handmade and sold for charity. There will be another market at the end of June so I hope we get better weather and more customers.

4 comments:

Teresa Ashby said...

What a shame you had so few people there - it looks so lovely too! Good luck with the next one! x

hydra said...

Thank you, Teresa.

Jackie Sayle said...

Thanks for the compliment about the knitted toys, Hydra. I wouldn't do a stall these days because people don't really want to pay what the items are worth in materials, time and skill.

hydra said...

I think you're right, Jacula. The bunnies were only £2.50 each and they must have cost more than that to make.