Tuesday 17 April 2012

More property woes

In my last post, I mentioned the lovely flat I'd seen that someone else pipped me at the post to. Well, yesterday I awoke in fighting spirit and rang the agent and offered £3,000 more than the asking price. Whereupon he told me he had had other bids of over the asking price and what he was asking everyone to do was submit their best bid by midday today.

So... what do I do? Play the game and take the risk of paying over the odds but getting a lovely flat right in the area I want? Or do surrender now and miss out once again? Seems like this has been happening for ever. If I offer any more, it will eat up almost all of my savings. Two months ago, I would have been gung-ho about it and said, 'I can always work and save up again,' but now I'm not so sure as I haven't had any work in from the agency for six whole weeks!

I suppose I could offer another £500 and see what happens... But I resent paying more than the asking price for anything and I can't forget that only two years ago I could have got this flat, not quite so nicely renovated, for £100,000 less!!! Crazy, isn't it? But that's the London property market for you.


6 comments:

Haz1558 said...

Put in a higher offer and see what happens. Remember that what you lose in monetary terms in finding a new home has to be offset against storage charges (£20,000 and counting) and emotional abuse at the hands of Mr Grumpy.

Perovskia said...

I completely second the above comment.

You now have to analyze what's important to *you*, money aside. It's going suck. A lot. But how much longer do you want to wait? What's important to you NOW?

Jackie Sayle said...

I third the comment!

Perovskia said...

P.S - Offer more money. Take the hit. Have faith things *will* work out in the future as it's meant to (monetarily, etc).

Jump.

hydra said...

It went for SO much over the asking price that even if I'd offered another £5,000, it wouldn't have made any difference. And if I'd done that, I'd have had to borrow from the bank. *sigh*

Perovskia said...

I hate them. Hate them all.