Tuesday 7 June 2011

Rant time

Does anyone else hate, loathe and detest that Verified By Visa security thing? All I have been trying to do for the last half hour is renew my Railcard (yes, the Senior one!), and would it let me? Would it hell.

The problem is, this is my third credit card in two months, as the bank stopped the original one, whose number and security code (and VBV password) I knew by heart, as they thought it had been used fraudulently. I was trying to pay for a computer for my daughter and have it delivered to her address, which Barclays did not like at all. They sent me a new one, which got gobbled up by a faulty cash machine. By then, I had had to think of a new VBV password as it wouldn't let me use the old one again.

The latest card arrived - the one I was trying to use today. I tried to use the last password. No joy. I went through the rigmarole of inventing a new one. Three new ones. It didn't like any of them. Finally, I found one it liked. For about the seventh time, I keyed everything into the Railcard website. Yet more red type. What had I done wrong THIS time? Guess. I was so confused by now that I'd filled in the wrong security code. Doh.

VBV popped up again and I held my breath as I keyed in the latest password which involved a rude word. And... YESSSS! Success. My new card is on its way. What are the chances of my remembering the latest password? Actually, considering I used this word many times while shouting at the screen, I think they're very high!

2 comments:

Frances Garrood said...

I so agree with what you've said. Sometimes it would be quicker to crawl on your hands and knees to whoever it is you're trying to contact rather than sit inventing a series of passwords (which of course you will have forgottenby next time). Plus, there's no-one to shout at.

I guuess that's what blogs are for.

hydra said...

Yes, Frances, it's exactly what blogs are for! Letting off steam in all directions.