Thursday 16 June 2011

Poetry Reading (not!)

I turned up at the coffee bar this morning with a fist full of poems to read. The open mic session had been organised as part of Hillingdon Arts Week. It was pouring with rain and I didn't expect anyone to be there but the place was packed out and there wasn't a seat left. Unfortunately, the sound system was so poor that you couldn't hear a word that was being spoken, so after sitting through four inaudible renditions, I decided it would be pointless even to try, as I have a soft voice and nobody would be able to hear me.

I spotted someone I'd met at the rock gig I went to recently and found she'd come along just to support me. How lovely of her! We'd only met once before. I was very touched. So she, Mr G and I went downstairs and talked for an hour over coffee. She writes lyrics for a band called Pimp My Jazz - http://www.pimpmyjazz.co.uk/ and they are playing a gig on Sunday so I am coming back from my long weekend in Highgate specially to hear them.

Although I didn't read, I was surprised and pleased to find I didn't feel nervous. That's a first for me. Normally, if I have to do anything in front of an audience, my stomach churns and I feel sick and shaky with stage fright. It would be fantastic if I'd got over all that and could now perform in public without a qualm. I'll have to try myself out again soon.

No comments: