Thursday 3 December 2009

For shame!

Sometimes one can wallow in the shallows while one's friends are forging ahead and doing the creative equivalent of three minute miles! One friend in particular, Joan, has in the last year, following redundancy, deaths of parents, bad health and awful depression, achieved the following: winning a photography prize; having some poetry published in Southbank Poetry Magazine; getting a name for herself for performing her poems in public; and this week, having one of her photos displayed in the Bankside Gallery in London. Well done, Joan! Instead of moaning for the last year because my literary agent didn't understand me, I should have taken a leaf out of Joan's book and gone ahead and done my own thing. Joan has no agent, and look what she's achieved? Mea culpa! It's self-adminstered kick up the arse time. Tomorrow, I shall write a poem.

5 comments:

Perovskia said...

I've been thinking about this since you wrote it. I notice that, too; one person excels while another seems to hold back (myself being either of the two). Y'know what? I used to be the one holding back, but I've excelled and accomplished a lot the past year. Things I never saw myself doing.

I don't know what makes us leap from A to B. We have to be ready to shed what's weighing us down, I guess.

Did you ever write your poem?

hydra said...

Er... no, I didn't write my poem. I started composing a silly rhyme in my head, but it never reached the page or the screen and wasn't a serious poem! Glad to hear about the things you have done!

Perovskia said...

Thanks :)

Hehe.. sorry to hear you didn't get your poem written, but silly rhymes are always fun!

Jackie Sayle said...

Silly rhymes are always fun,
even when 'serious' stuff isn't done.
It matters not what you write,
so long as you keep up the fight
to stay alive and let words thrive,
'cos words make up we authors' lives.
Pen in hand, we WILL survive!

Jackie Sayle said...

Crap, off the cuff, but it IS a poem, and one written for you who's one the same page as the present Poet Laureate in an anthology. (Back in the 90s now, but, given the brief, we both wrote very similar poems.)