Saturday 14 November 2009

Part-time job

Oh, the bliss of working again. I'd forgotten how pleasant it was to be with people, to meet and greet and chat. I've spent three years isolated in my 'prison cell', only emerging to go to gym, chiropractor or local shops, and the result has been that I have withdrawn into myself and have grown extremely nervous of going anywhere that requires getting on a train for an hour or so, which is what it takes to get anywhere from here. So when the chiropractor asked me to stand in as receptionist for a couple of half days, while her usual one was on holiday, I was only too happy to agree.

Monday was the coldest day we've had so far this autumn. There was a frost in the night and when I arrived, the reception area was freezing as the boiler had been broken for ages and there was a dispute going on as to who was supposed to pay to get it fixed or replaced. By the end of four hours, despite having a halogen heater behind my desk, I was numb with cold and had developed a sinusy, catarrhy cough that kept me awake half the night. I had thoroughly enjoyed the work but was dreading getting frozen to the marrow again yesterday, so I wore my thermals. I needn't have worried, I was warm as toast, a plumber arrived to 'fix' the boiler (it made noises like a road drill and I felt sorry for the poor clients of the massage therapist in the next room to it) and as well as getting £30 in my pocket, I was given a free treatment from the chiro as I'd wrecked my back raking leaves on Thursday. Now I am hoping the usual receptionist decides to have another holiday soon, so I can be offered more sessions.

Feeling that I could still have a useful role to play in a business did wonders for my self-esteem, which has been at a low ebb for ages as writing and editing jobs have dried up all around me. And if I hadn't said, "If you ever need anybody to fill in..." I'd never have got the job. I've proved something to myself and I feel great.

No comments: