Friday 27 November 2009

London Wetlands Centre

Last Sunday we all trekked out to the Wetlands Centre. Unfortunately, it soon turned very wet indeed and we were driven inside, like everybody else, to fight for seats in the cafe, not knowing you could take your food upstairs and eat it with a wonderful view all round. We stayed in the steamy ground floor, with a myriad families all waiting to pounce on free chairs like herons on fish. Mr Grumpy went outside to roll a fag and got caught in a sudden squall that blew all the doors open and drenched his legs. He came indoors wringing out his jeans. Ho-ho, tee-hee (aren't I cruel?).

Here are a few photos I took before the downpour came.

Mr Grumpy and Merrylegs scan the horizon for feathered things.

The sculpted swan seems part of the family (or are they geese?)

Sir Peter Scott finds two subjects for his notes.

I was lucky enough to press the shutter just as this heron took off.

5 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

Smashing photos!

Perovskia said...

The 'sculpted swans' are pretty. I've never seen those in Canada.

hydra said...

Wonder what sort it's meant to be?

hydra said...

Welcome, Perovskia. I have visited Ottawa and Montreal. Whereabouts are you?

Perovskia said...

Ahh, I love Montreal. I'm just an hour outside of Toronto.