Thursday 2 April 2009

Eyes right!



If it's not one thing, it's another. Yesterday, I was walking down the road when I suddenly flinched as something like a large fly flew directly at my left eye. But there was nothing there. That's when I realised that the 'thing' was there every time I moved my eye to the right, or blinked. A black crescent-shaped object rimmed with blue light, like the moon emerging from an eclipse.

Being well over 50 and very short-sighted, the perfect conditions for detached retina, I sprung onto Google and yes, my symptoms did sound similar. Rang the doc this morning and was told to go to an optician as my first port of call and then, if they found anything, they would give me a letter to take to my GP or the hospital. My sister is right now driving down from Cumbria and should be arriving with her hubby at around 3 pm. So my task now is to get my hair dry and go into town and see if I can get a slot with an optician, then get back by 3. Sis (Merrylegs, to readers of this blog) is off to Mount Everest Base Camp, 18,000 ft up. She and her husband are serious climbers. Wonder, though, if she'll be tempted to go the last 8,000 ft? I sincerely hope not, as I do want to see her again!

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

It could just be what's known as a 'floater' you can see, Hydra.

See http://tinyurl.com/b98qpj

Mind you, by the time you read this you'll have seen an optician.

Good luck to Merrylegs and her hubby. Wish them a good trip from me.

hydra said...

I have loads of floaters already and they don't come with flashes of light as well. Compared notes with sister and friend who have had detached retinas and my symptoms are identical. I'm booked to see an optician tomorrow, which is what the GP said to do in the first instance, but I'd far rather be seeing a dentist! Can't bear anything to touch my tooth. I got a bit of soft banana on it earlier, and it was hell. But my next appointment isn't for a fortnight. I'll have gone to an emergency dentist and had it yanked out by then!