Saturday 15 December 2012

Peter Pan

Last night I went to see Peter Pan at the Beck Theatre in Hayes. Adam Woodyatt, who plays Ian Beale in Eastenders, was Captain Hook. In my opinion, he wasn't nearly scary enough. He played the role using his supercilious, smug Ian Beale smile, he camped it up for an adult audience and didn't connect with the kids, of which there were tons.

I made the mistake of not buying an expensive programme. I didn't think it was a mistake at the time, but now I find myself unable to heap praise on the actors who were the real stars of the show as I have been unable to find a cast list online anywhere. A pretty girl with a wonderful voice played Wendy, forced to wear a ghastly nightie while all the other young girls wore a variety of pretty, skimpy costumes. Peter Pan himself was played by an elfin-looking youth with amazing red hair and endearing charm. But, for me, the true star of the show was Smee, a barrel of a man who projected and connected with everyone, old and young, who skipped, danced, sang and clowned and had a personality that filled the entire hall. If only I could find out the name of the actor. I suppose I'll just have to go back and buy a blasted programme!

No comments: