Saturday 26 May 2012

A poem for the sunshine (a bit spicy!)



HAWAIIAN TROPIC

In this weather,
the coconut ghost of Hawaiian Tropic
wafts back from the Seventies and
I feel the Spanish sands
tickle and grate
and the sting of the hot sun on my brown arms.
Disco beats punch the midnight sky blue-black
and salty kisses
linger like tears on my lips,
the words dissolved
like jellyfish in the sun.

Fernando, Rafael, Miguel –
names that dipped my tongue in honey.
tending their boats in red shorts.
taut and brown and hard as oars,
choc-ices for my eyes.
Granddads now, do they recall
a skinny Scouser redhead
who matched their eagerness
when sex stabbed like a mosquito
in the cicada-scritching night?
No, names and faces were incidental
to the thighs’ molten sun
and coconut-scented flesh

And in the morning, the walk of shame
past laden breakfast tables,
sensing the paused forks, the thoughts:
‘She’s still in her disco gear!
We know what you’ve been doing, dirty cow,’
as envy surged in waves
from folk as old as I am now.
Hawaiian Tropic, it’s all your fault
that today, in the hot sun,
I feel twenty-two again,
cicadas ringing in my ears
and a voice sighs in a coconut shell:
Miguel… Fernando… Rafael…


Lorna Read, 25/5/12

1 comment:

Jackie Sayle said...

Excellent! (You WERE hot today! LOL)