Friday 25 May 2012

The Kindle disguise

I have just read an article concerning the results of a survey which showed that 55% of adult purchasers bought a Kindle or other e-book reader to disguise what they were reading. The books they were most embarrassed to be seen with were erotica and children's fiction.

This got me wondering what kinds of books I would hate to be caught reading. I was never worried about reading a Harry Potter book on the tube, but I did try to use my elbows as wings to disguise the fact that I was avidly perusing a Mills & Boon (intellectual snobbery!). I also felt slightly awkward about reading a misery memoir, maybe in case people would think I was a miserable person! I certainly wouldn't want to be caught with Flogging Scarlet, or Diana and the Jig Jig Man, two recent titles from Xcite books!

The article ended by posing the question of how is a sensitive young man to attract a similar lady if he is reading a Kindle rather than a Penguin original paperback. That's intellectual snoggery!

1 comment:

Teresa Ashby said...

I love it - intellectual snoggery :-) x