Saturday 5 May 2012

Green fingers? Not me!

Some people have green fingers and plants love them and will grow willingly and abundantly for them. Others, like me, have black fingers, not because they are compost-covered, but because, as far as plants are concerned, they are the black fingers of doom. Plants only have to feel their touch, to shrivel and die.

Years ago, a romantic boyfriend handed me a plant. "When this dies, so will our love," he said melodramatically. Well, the plant looked healthy enough, but within a week it had keeled over and the relationship didn't last much longer!

The only things that seem immune to my fingers of doom are tomato plants. Last year I planted six and had a jolly good crop. Far too many, in fact. I think people were scared to come round in the end, as they didn't want yet another bag of tomatoes thrust at them. This year I have only planted four; two Moneyspinners and two Alicante, which the lady at the plant stall by Uxbridge station assured me were easy to grow and produced plenty of fruit. We'll see...



I also bought some blue things and some yellow things. Apart from the pansies, I've forgotten their names. Aaargh! So sorry, flowers. Perhaps that's why they give up on me. They feel unrecognised, unacknowledged and just about every other 'un' you can think of. Wonder if I'd get on better with a Ranunculus?!


5 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

Nice to see a cheerful post that made me laugh! I can't identify your blue things and your yellow things from the pics.

Glad to see the tomato plants aren't much more advanced than mine. Is that a current pic of them and they are outside? It's still too cold, even though it is May!

Perovskia said...

I also laughed :) Look at you with your green thumb!

And your 'blues and yellows' are pansies, btw ;) Water when dry.. maybe a couple times a week? If you see them wilting, water more. Don't soak/drown!

hydra said...

There is a red and a yellow pansy, but it's the other blue one I can't identify, and the yellow daisy-like plant. (I bought a pink one, too.) Yes, Jacula, the toms are outside. Brrr! I only planted them last week. I paid £1 each for them as seedlings.

Jackie Sayle said...

A £1 EACH?? You could have bought a whole packet of seeds for less than that!

hydra said...

Yes, I know, but I don't have a free windowsill and a seed propogator (is that what it's called?) The thingy with the plastic lid!