Saturday 4 February 2012

A must-read for all my writing friends

http://www.andrewlownie.co.uk/2011/01/13/what-editors-want

Perhaps you have already encountered this list of what editors are looking for. Yes, it's a year old but I still found it eye-opening - and I'm pretty sure most of those people are still there, and won't have changed their wish-list much.

I subscribe to a daily book business newsletter - http://www.booktrade.info/freesheet/ - which often contains info about commissioning editors and publishers; who has changed jobs, who has launched a new imprint. I have just started keeping a list so that I have a name to send sample chapters off to.

When I help get submission packages together for authors, my first piece of advice is always to ring first and get a name to send your submission to because Dear Agent, or Dear Commissioning Editor just doesn't cut it. It shows you haven't done your homework and your work will wing its way back unread - or, worse, be frisbee'd into the nearest bin!

2 comments:

Teresa Ashby said...

Great links, thanks! I have bookmarked the Andrew Lownie one x

Jackie Sayle said...

Ditto.