Wednesday 19 October 2011

Fleas and shiners

They let my friend J out of hospital today with her arm in plaster and a bag of painkillers, but she has to go back for an operation. They were hoping to do it today but they had 'more urgent cases' to deal with. She has sent everyone a photo of her black eye. It really is a beaut and looks very painful. Thank God her sight wasn't damaged.

I am exceedingly itchy. Somebody in this house has fleas - somebody furry, I suspect - and one has hopped all the way up (or down) my trousers. Mr G never gets bitten, which means he must taste horrible. I, on the other hand, must taste to a flea like strawberry pavlova as they simply adore me. Mosquitoes do, too. I am now waiting for a cat-free moment to spray the house - and lock the felines out for an hour while the stuff does the trick. One has had its flea treatment, but the other hasn't. We rather hoped that his fleas would hop on her and get nuked, but that was wishful thinking. 

The odd thing was, I haven't had a single bite for months so I thought the house was flea-free. It must be the log fires Mr G is lighting. It's hatched the buggers 
out!


3 comments:

Caroline said...

A good tip to see if you have fleas is to place a saucer of hot water on the floor / carpet where you think there are fleas. If they are there they will hop into the water - as they are attracted to warmth. Sorry if you know that - but it's the day job you see - I'm an EHO! Caroline x

Teresa Ashby said...

Citronella oil puts biting things off biting you - I sprinkle it around collars, cuffs and the bottoms of trousers if I go in the woods when its biting insect time. And I sprinkle it on my pillow when mozzies are buzzing round at night.
Hope J has a speedy recovery and doesn't have to wait too long for the operation.

hydra said...

Thank you, Caroline! I didn't know that.